WHEAT II

I tried wheat again this week. On Saturday I ate pasta, which was wonderful. Pasta is so versatile; hats off to pasta! After pasta I felt fine for a few days.

Then on Wednesday I tried another wheat treat: pumpkin bread. This recipe I made was SO good. It even had toasted pumpkin seeds in the bread, which I loved, but Justin called "dangerous" since they were sort of a crunchy surprise. So if you don't expect bread to have pointy crunchy things in it, then you could omit them.Pumpkin Bread
Source: www.NewSeasonsMarket.com

-2 cups flour
-2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
-3 large eggs (or 2 duck eggs)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
-3 cups shredded fresh pumpkin
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
-(And I added raisins)

Preheat oven to 325.
Mix together dry ingredients. Mix together wet ingredients.
Combine both mixtures and add pumpkin and seeds (and I added raisins too.)
Pour into greased pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Since there was only a small amount of flour in the bread, I decided I should also eat a burrito. Admittedly, that justification was probably influenced by my 3-month-long burrito longing.

Anyway, on Thursday night I got a headache. So I'm off wheat. I'm really sad about it and I can't stop thinking about how hard it will make eating out, eating with others, etc. I feel like every time I go out I will have to ask the restaurant employees a million questions to which they won't know the answer.

My only refuge is Laughing Planet, an amazing restaurant where they have this nice book with all the ingredients in all of their foods. The cashiers let me look at it every time, and I have discovered that I can eat their spinach lentil soup, Cuban bowl, and Soylent Green Bowl! Yay creative local chains! And for all you wheat-allergics out there, I hope your city has something like Laughing Planet too!

I was pretty ignorant about this whole wheat-free idea before this experiment, so let me just explain a few things that I've learned:
1) Instead of soy sauce, you can use wheat-free tamari. It's delicious, and some people buy it instead of soy sauce just because it's awesome. My local sushi restaurant has it, so that should be consoling to anyone who thinks s/he must never again dip sushi.
2) Barley flour (although it does have a small amount of gluten) is a very good flour substitute. I have been raving about it for a while now, so I'll just stop there.
3) Wheat-free and gluten-free are NOT the same thing. I don't get it well enough to explain yet, but if you are one, don't assume you are the other.

Ok, I will now accept all wheat-free, vegan, refined-sugar-free cupcakes as a cheer-up gift. Thank you in advance. And don't forget: no coconut either (I haven't tested it yet)!

PS- I'm going to try wheat again in 6 weeks. I'm not giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment