RealAge=RealRidiculous

I heard about this website called RealAge.com. It asks you a million questions about your health history, current eating and exercise practices, etc., and then professes to tell you your "real age" based on your medical information. Most of the questions seemed to make sense, and it even asks how many times per week you floss, perhaps just to prove its vigilance about all-things-medical. (I know, I know, flossing is important.)

Anyway, the reason RealAge has the honor of a mention on my blog is because it had something to say about my diet. One question about current health problems prompted me to enter that I suffer from migraines. Then it asks, What are you doing about your problems? The check-list offered includes seeing a doctor, changing your diet, and more. So of course, I checked the changing-my-diet box. (Although, keep in mind that the diet change was doctor-recommended.)

Now, before I tell you the results of my RealAge, I want to remind all readers that the reason I haven't had migraines for the past 3 months is because of this diet change that I'm plowing through. Prior to this diet change, not much (except acupuncture) has helped, including seeing MDs.

Ok, now for the results. My RealAge (haha) is 23.4, which I guess is good since I'm actually 25.4. In addition to your age, it gives you a green check for each positive step you are taking and a red X for each negative step. The shocking part, and the part that made me realize the ridiculosity of this site is that I got a red X for "dealing with headaches." Apparently completely changing my diet over a course of meticulously planned months is not a good enough step for RealAge. Then it went on to tell me that "migraines are no fun, but you don’t have to just live with the pain."

And this concludes my rant on this fad-faux-medicine-website. (I know, what was I expecting?)
Oh and by the way, I don't want my RealAge to be younger than my real age.
Old=wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment