Week Three: Energy

By week three I am amazed by the amount of energy I have. In the past I have complained to doctors that I feel tired a lot, or that I take naps a lot, or that I just plain need 10 hours of sleep per night. A few months back I started taking B12 vitamins which helped immensely. I noticed such a difference (and so did my partner, Justin.) Suddenly I could stay up later, wake up earlier....I had so many more hours in my day I didn't know what to do!

So the fact that week three had brought me to feel even MORE energized than that...well, I just don't know what to say. Maybe I can finally join the society of awake and productive people. OR, maybe I can have a lot of energy and I don't need to consider eating meat (which I am still not doing.)

Week three also brings us the ever-important and breakfast-changing CRISP!

I am pasting the recipe below, but you should really go to the source because the site is called Celiac Chicks, and that's just cool. Also I obviously omitted any foods I tested sensitive to, so mine did not have coconut oil for instance. I have found few omissions to really be a problem. And thank Earth for barley flour, which has been such an awesome flour replacer! (And healthier too, so I've heard.)

Apple Cranberry Crisp

INGREDIENTS

7 apples, unpeeled, (it's easier!) cored and chopped; use a few more if they are small apples

4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 vanilla bean cut into bits; or use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup quinoa flakes, or gluten-free oats
1/2 cup coconut oil

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Put the apples in a 9x13x2 inch Pyrex casserole dish. (If you don't have a dishwasher, like me, then you'll appreciate the fact that you don't have to dirty another mixing bowl. I experimented with this the second time I made this.)

Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples.

Sprinkle the cut vanilla bean, or extract over the top of the apples.

Stir the mixture around a bit with a spoon.

Combine maple syrup, cinnamon, and quinoa (or gluten-free oatmeal) in a bowl. Cut in coconut oil.

Sprinkle mixture over apples.

Bake 45 minutes or until topping looks crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment