Week Two: Craving Sugar

During week two I discovered the book Simple Treats. It has egg-free, dairy-free, wheat-free desserts, and they are actually edible. I mean really delicious. The crumbcake (with blueberries) is sooooo good, I could not believe it. It's a funny thing to realize how much refined sugar we eat each day. Actually it's in everything, even sushi rice! So it was important to me to have great desserts around (also something the doc warned me about...she's so smart!) so that I didn't feel deprived or start resenting this diet.

I also learned how to make a stirfry. I know, I should have learned that BEFORE age 25.Up until this point I had been eating alone. Even when I was next to someone else, I still felt alone with my meal. There's just something lovely about sharing a meal with another person, and I had been missing it. I made this stirfry with my friends Susie and Nathan, and I was ecstatic to share the cooking and eating with company. It felt so nice to be doing something healthy for ourselves that was also fun and social. And there you have it, the mind-body connection. The stirfry and the company complemented each other, and in a gestaltish kind of way, the night made me feel really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment