Week Six: Substitutions

Here are some things I've learned over these 6 weeks:

1) Baking powder has corn in it (unless you get the kind with potato starch). A good substitute is:
For each 1 teaspoon baking powder called for in a recipe, use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.

2) Soy/rice/hemp milk can almost always be substituted for milk

3) Barley flour is my new favorite discovery. You can always substitute it for flour. Barley flour does have a very small amount of gluten, but I have been ok with it. Here is a list of many kinds of flour and their amounts of gluten. I never knew there were so many kinds of flour!

4) Egg whites can usually be used instead of egg yolks. So if a recipe calls for 1 egg, I use two egg whites and no yolk.

5) Any ingredient that you don't understand is probably corn. Including: natural flavor, citric acid, caramel color, dextrose, lactic acid....all the scientific names that make us want to be farmers so we don't have to be scientists. For an in depth and fascinating account of how corn rules the world and makes Americans fat and farmers poor, read the literary delicacy Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

6) Coping with Food Intolerances by Dick Thom, DDS, ND lays out this whole testing-elimination-reintroducing process. It's easy to read and accessible. Also has cool recipes and lots of substitution ideas. My favorite recipe in there is Sweet Potato Buns.

In other news, I have been working early morning shifts at a large garden, going to school, and working part-time...and I feel great! I could not have done this (especially the early-morning gardening) before these 6 weeks.

At this point, I feel like I know how to cook way more than I did, and I am empowered to feed myself. I know, that sounds ridiculous, but cooking everything at home AND eliminating migraines has made me feel self-sufficient in a way that I think I really needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment