Scared of Moose

I'm going to Alaska because my band is the artist in residence at a retreat. I'm scared because I don't understand Alaska, and Sarah Palin now works for Fox "News".
But I'm also worried about what I will eat. So far the list of "no" foods is: dairy, wheat, refined sugar. Then there's a bunch of things I haven't actually introduced so who knows how I will react to them!? This list includes mango, Halibut, sulfites, and food colorings. I'm sure I will encounter these on my trip, and I know for sure I will be eating Alaskan Halibut. By the way, I still think it's funny that I only tested sensitive to one fish.
The other issue is vegetarianism (or as I like to call my specific situation (non-dairy, but eggs, fish and raw cheddar are ok): accidental almost-veganism). The retreat center has assured me that vegetarian options are no problem, but I'm betting that I will end up eating some sort of interesting meat (moose? elk? mmm....) especially outside of the retreat center. I am trying to get the band to compete in my eat-the-most-obscure-meat-challenge.
Admittedly, I'm actually a little excited about eating some obscure meat because I think my vegetarianism had led me to miss out on some cultural knowledge in the past. For example, when I was in Ghana many years ago, I could not partake in GoatFest (created by other participants on my trip.) Also, during a college trip to Argentina I missed out on free-range, organic beef. I realize now that I want to support such sustainable and healthy endeavors, but back then I was just trying to enjoy my unrelenting gnocchi dinners and cheese empanadas.
So when I eat Alaskan moose, perhaps I will finally come to understand a small part of this foreign land and culture. I'll let you know if I have any epiphanies.

No comments:

Post a Comment