Justin

Have I mentioned that I live with the hottest chef-extraordinaire ever? I'm so lucky.
Justin made this amazing Kabocha Squash Soup (with the help of Bittman), and although Bittman gets credit for the recipe, Justin always gets the credit for his artistry of reading a recipe and then making it his own. Not to mention the fact that he only uses Julie-friendly ingredients. I know, how did I get so lucky?!


Almost all the soup ingredients were from our farmers' market including the squash, mushrooms, and chives.

 
Another Justin-creation: nachos. I realize anyone can make nachos, but again, Justin puts these amazing touches on recipes that make the food more than you ever thought it could be. In these nachos Justin made a tomato cilantro sauce that he drizzled over the nachos just as they emerged from the oven. He also did some nice things to the homemade refried beans, including adding an onion, a chile and 2 cloves garlic to the broth while the beans were cooking. This was my first homemade refried bean experience, and wow was it rewarding. They weren't disgusting and greasy, but rather had this very smooth, rich, just-spicy-enough flavor. All I did was take Justin's deliciously cooked black beans and fry them in canola oil with some garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment